Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Most Delicious Cauliflower Recipe in the World

I have never been a big fan of cauliflower.  I find the texture weird and the flavour underwhelming.  The only way I've ever enjoyed it is when my late Grandma used to smother it in mustard sauce and cheese.  Let's face it, anything tastes good smothered in cheese...

But when I was out shopping the other day, a bulb of cauliflower caught my eye.  I'd been thinking about it lately because I'd seen some organic cauliflower at the farmer's market.  As well, it is terribly healthy.  Cauliflower is related to cabbage and so is chock full of cancer-fighting compounds.  I am obsessed with adding more healthy veggies to my diet so into the basket it went.  Once I got it home I decided to get a little creative and I happened upon a recipe that turns cauliflower into the most delicious vegetable ever, ever, ever.  Seriously I've made this a couple times now and I am actually starting to crave cauliflower.

It's a few steps but is infinitely worth it.

Ingredients
  • Cauliflower - a cup or so chopped into bite-sized pieces
  • 1 tsp of fennel seeds
  • 1 tsp of coriander
  • 2 tsp peanut oil
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • 2 tsp palm sugar
  • 1/4 cup chicken broth
  • Salt to taste
Directions

1. Start by heating a teaspoon of the oil on medium in a small saucepan.  Add the fennel seeds and coriander and toast the spices for a few minutes.  Once the spices are fragrant add the cauliflower pieces, the cumin, the turmeric, the palm sugar and the chicken broth.  Cover the pan and cook until the cauliflower is soft, about five minutes.  Toss the pieces around the pan periodically to coat them in the delicious sauce.

2. Once the cauliflower is soft take the lid off and let the liquid cook down.  At this point, add the last teaspoon of oil and toss the cauliflower so that it is coated in the oil.  Turn the heat up to medium-high and stick close to the pan.  You are trying to caramelize the cauliflower and the palm sugar can burn so don't go wandering off.  Fry the cauliflower until there are little beautiful bits of caramelized yumminess all over it, take off the heat and adjust for salt.

3. Inhale.

The verdict: Well as you can tell from the title of this post, I love this cauliflower.  The sweetness from the palm sugar, the softness of the cauliflower, the burst of coriander or fennel every time a seed crunches open.  So yummy.  For those who don't like cumin, the taste is subtle.  It just gives a hint of richness without being overpowering.  For cauliflower lovers this recipe is a must.  For cauliflower haters this recipe might just change your mind.  No more cheese coated cauliflower for me.

1 comment:

  1. Cauliflower is a versatile vegetable. There is a lot that can be made with it. As with anything, the best recipes come when you grow your own wholesome ingredients, and Cauliflower Recipes are no exception. You can learn how to grow cauliflower of your own from another section. This section will go over cauliflower recipes for two very delicious meals that you can make. In separate areas, a cauliflower soup recipe will be covered, as well as a cauliflower cheese recipe, so check those out when you get the chance.

    ReplyDelete