Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Fermented Hot Sauce: Part 2

My fermented hot sauce was bubbling and brewing away in the corner for several days.  It developed a little bit of white mold, which I promptly scraped off.  I did notice mentions of mold in various blog posts so I didn't worry overly much, it seems to relate to the fermentation process.

Once I felt that it was fermented enough (use your intuition) I slipped on a glove and picked through the mixture removing all of the green stems.  I then dumped the mixture into a saucepan with about half a cup of white wine vinegar and let it boil for several minutes. 

I put in a teaspoon of salt and then poured the whole saucepan into my blender and whizzed it up until I liked the consistency.  The sauce then took another journey into the saucepan for another round of boiling while I sterilized a few little jars.  I tasted it again as it boiled and decided to add a teaspoon of white sugar.  This just seemed appropriate.

The verdict: Whooo!  This sauce basically takes my head off!  The thai chilis are killer hot, KILLER hot, seriously.  The burn is a quick burn, there is no slow build-up that surprises you after a few minutes.  It kicks you in the mouth quickly, spreads and then sits.  You will sweat and it might make your eyes roll back into your head slightly.

1 comment:

  1. I am already on my next batch because this turned out really well. Thanks for checking out my blog and let me know if you play around with making your own hot sauce.

    ReplyDelete